Hello &

Hello &

Wentworth Earl Miller III

Wentworth Earl Miller III

V.I.P.

V.I.P.

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Mailbag (4.1)



Q: are you calling Vancouver/Canada your new home now?are you going to live there for good?thank you in advance...#koalas your way

A: Yes indeed. BC is home. For now. And will be until it's not. Once I'm done with LEGENDS (or LEGENDS is done with me) I'll move on. But not back to LA, I don't think. Somewhere new. Probably closer to friends/family. Somewhere with seasons. Yeah. Seasons. :)

* * * * *

Q: do you have any pointers on how you make your photos look so amazing? This is not a yes or no question. ; )

A: Thank you for the compliment. The answer is... "Not really." I typically have to wait for something to catch my eye. A view, an object, a surface... Then I ask myself why it caught my eye. Is it the light? The color? The angle from which it's perceived? Then I take a photo and try to capture... whatever it is. And sometimes I don't. Sometimes it's not there to be captured. And I have to let it go. But occasionally I get it. Or a piece of it. Then either I love it and share it or I filter the sh-t out of it then love it and share it. For every pic I post there's probably two dozen I delete. Thank goodness for smartphones. Thank goodness I'm not paying to develop rolls of film. That'd be a lot of film wasted.

* * * * *

Q: Have you found love??

A: Yes. More than once.

* * * * *

Q: As a high school English teacher, it's a constant battle to instill even a habit of reading - never mind a love of literature - into my lovely but fairly deprived, quite disaffected, generally disengaged teenagers. If you were made King of All Schools, what books would you insist on being taught in order to ignite some passion for reading in our young people??

A: First, I want to say thank you for doing what you do. My HS teachers had a lasting and positive impact on me as both a student and a human being.

Sadly, I can't think of a book that - guaranteed - would "ignite the passion" you're talking about. The books I love/have loved, that made me a fan of reading, came my way when I was in a space to receive them. They spoke to who I was when and where I was. That's why they resonated. And that's going to look different - has to look different - for everyone.

That said - and I'm sure this is already commonplace - if I were choosing a book to (hopefully) kindle a love of reading in my students, I'd start with the latest hit-YA-novel-to-hit-YA-movie adaptation, something I knew they'd seen or would want to see. I'd screen the film, assign the book, then discuss. Then I'd assign a second book by the same author or a classic on a related theme (ex: The Hunger Games then Lord Of The Flies). And so on. Then hope that one or more of my kids would take the bait and start reading on their own.

* * * * *

Q: If you hadn't become an actor, what do you think you would be doing now?

A: I don't know. But my earliest ambition - before acting - was to be a monk. In an ancient monastery. In the mountains. I remember having a very detailed, very specific vision of me in a cowl and robe (brown, wool, coarse) floating silently down a stone-lined corridor while bells chimed in the distance. The adult me understands why that might have appealed to kid me. The prospect of peace and quiet. Vows of silence. A life organized around God (who, according to kid me, looked a lot like the King of Hearts in a deck of Bicycle playing cards). Living in a cool-ass castle. Or something resembling a cool-ass castle. The adult me suspects (but cannot confirm) that kid me also responded to the idea of all-male community. And wardrobe options that weren't quite so gender-restrictive. ;)

* * * * *

Q: My question is how do you make it through when your depression is at the worst? My depression is bad atm. Im transgender and finding it difficult when my family wont use male pronouns or MY name. Your an inspiration to me because you use your voice to speak about lgbt and mental health difficulties.

A: "How do I make it through my depression?" is a terrific question. I honor you (and others) for having the courage to ask it. My top recommendation is this: don't isolate. Reach out. Get help. Maybe that means talking to a therapist, a guidance counselor, your doctor. Calling a free and confidential hotline. Joining an online community where you can connect with people going through similar challenges. Or all of the above. Remember you are not alone. Others have been where you are. And someone who understands is waiting to hear from you.

I've posted a number of resource links on this page specific to depression/mental health. You can find some of them collected here: www.facebook.com/notes/wentworth-miller/resource-page/1633692013510401

If you're between 13 and 24, you can find LGBTQ community, chat, and support here: www.trevorspace.org

* * * * *

Q: Your #carechronicle for October is brilliant and a wonderful idea. What made you decide to do this publically via social media and has it given you freedom to express things you may not have in the past?

A: Thank you! I'm glad you're finding value in it. I am too.

Fall can be a tricky time. As the days get shorter/darker, I can feel myself turning inward, going quiet, wanting to hibernate. It's important for me to be (even more) conscious of what I'm doing to nourish my mind/body/spirit on a daily basis, to explore the many forms self-care can take. Obviously it can look like a day at the spa but (in my opinion) it can also look like sheets fresh from the dryer or speaking my piece, skipping a movie I know will lead to a restless night. Once I made the decision to keep a daily record of my self-care for the month of October, I thought, Why not do it publicly? And invite people to share their own routines? Which they have. Which is so generous. And inspiring. I'm already reaping the rewards.

* * * * *

Q: Can I start a #carechronicle here in Bangladesh? With everybody on my friends list?

A: Of course. That's a lovely idea.









Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...